Bread
Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I make bread. My favourite to make by hand is focaccia. It's impossible to get bread flour at the moment. So many people staying at home are trying their hand at breadmaking. Hope they stop when they go back to work and leave some flour for those of us who always make their own and never buy shop bought. I got a substitution of bread mix in my delivery order. It's disgusting. It's got chick pea flour in it, no doubt to boost the protein level so cheaper flour can be used. That's why I don't buy commercial bread. it all has chick pea or similar flours in. Yuck! Sad
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Jay, Mamzie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-05-2020, 10:47 PM)Mikey Wrote: You gotta be quick round here too, that one didn’t actually cool.
When you coming over next, Mikey?  Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, Mikey

Greenfingers Offline
Does anyone know if any of the mainstream supermarkets have got bread flour in again yet?

Mikey Offline
I doubt it Greenfingers, you are better off checking with small independent shops within your vicinity, even farm shops often carry this. Alternatively, go bulk and order a 25kg bag online it's good for 10-12 months.

One of my neighbours and I on our WhatsApp group, make bread so we share the bulk buy burden.

I ordered 25kg of pizza flour the other day, 4kg of mozzarella and pecorino, and 10kg imported Italian tomatoes. It's being broken down into more manageable quantities later.

(22-05-2020, 11:45 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(21-05-2020, 10:47 PM)Mikey Wrote: You gotta be quick round here too, that one didn’t actually cool.
When you coming over next, Mikey?  Big Grin

When I can be sure, there's no risk.  Smile

And the push me pull you doc is open again.!!
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
That is an amazing amount of flour - which mill did you get it from x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamzie's post:
  • Mikey

Bren Offline
Daughter had bought some from Tesco and we’ve had some from Aldi and the Co-op but it’s hit and hit and miss more of a miss though.

Greenfingers Offline
I didn't realise mozzarella kept for a reasonable length of time.

SarrissUK Offline
I bought a massive block of mozzarella a while ago - much more than what I could eat before it would go off. I grated it and froze it in a big bag - it was great, I could just grab a handful of cheese when I needed it.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Greenfingers, Mikey, PyreneesPlot

Mikey Offline
Flour keeps a long time, Always freeze excess cheese though. I bought Caputo pizzeria flour from an Italian Wholesale supplier in London. Worked out about 80p a kilo. They hermes’d it to me the following day, along with the other bits. Find what you want to buy and then google the shizel out of it.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.

Greenfingers Offline
Well I googled bread flour and according to the local paper Morrisons are selling bread flour, (bagged themselves in kilo bags) and fresh yeast in their in-store bakeries. And also a bakery in the next town are doing a drive through flour and fresh yeast pick up for a couple of hours twice a week. Neither are exorbitant either, so it looks as if we'll still get our daily bread.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Greenfingers's post:
  • Mikey