Unhappy Camelia
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Last august/ September I planted my camelia in a newly made raised bed. They’re not happy. Not flowered. One is going a bit yellow. This one has never done well, since I bought it. The other looks ok, it produced buds. They fell off. What do I need to add to the soil to help them recover? 
I know the stuff I used to fill that bed wasn’t the best of anything  Blush . My hellebore isn’t happy either, but lupins, and crazy daisy chrysanthemum are doing well. And tulips are all coming (still don’t know if they’ll flower).
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
I think they like ericaceous/acid soil, SC. I have a non-flowereing camellia as well, and I think it's down to the soil being too dry especially in the warmer months. I think they like good access to moisture (mine dried out a couple months after planting and has since recovered its leaves but not flowered). I haven't cracked my problem yet, so hopefully someone more successful will provide some insight.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Camellias like acid soil - they thrive here. I would have thought they'd like your soil SC...........but, they take a while to establish themselves and to flower, so be patient. A frost can zap the buds and the flowers. The buds form in the autumn so if they were planted around then, they may have been using their energy to put down roots instead of the buds.
Basically, I haven't a clue.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you ladies.

They definitely have enough moisture. At times they’re quite good at back stroke  Big Grin   Blush .  Definitely acidic soil. I was wondering if it could be to acidic?
 I’m going with frosted buds and taking a while to establish. Definitely had some frosts and they could be getting used to their new home. 
I was just a little concerned when the camelia at the top of the garden still in a very small pot. That I bought last October. Is looking very close to flowering. It was quite protected from frost I think. As it’s surrounded by other plants waiting to be planted.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Maybe the problem is "the very small pot"?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
They do like very acid soil so that shouldn't be a problem but not many plants like saturated ground. I don't think they like it too windy either. You could check the situation of other local camellias. They can take a while to establish. I planted one about 10 years ago (the position is not as acidic as they like though) and it didn't do much till last year when it had one flower. This year is has lots of blooms on it - as has another near by that was planted about 4 years ago.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie