Flax
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've been thinking about growing Flax for the edible seeds and today, at the Seed Swap I acquired some Flax Seeds. Interestingly, there is a local project to grow Flax to make Linen and the seeds that I have are from this project. I didn't know there was such a project but I'm intrigued now. If I can grow it, harvest the seeds and donate the plants for processing I will. There's no hope of me doing the processing! But I'll be keeping watch on how the Project gets on. 
More info on their Blog at https://welshlinen.com/home/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I watched a YouTube video on turning flax into linen. It was fascinating but a very long process.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I think growing flax might be on the same line as growing lentils.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Moth, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
More info about growing Flax and other things that produce fibre - like nettles https://www.wildfibres.co.uk/html/grow_flax.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Another plant that has been used for thousands of years by humans and there predecessors. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
This is the Group that gave me the flax seeds. I think I'd be good at "Heckling"...........and "spinning a yarn". Big Grin
  ·
Llieinwe - Flax to Linen exhibition is now up at Waterloo Tea in Whitchurch Road, Cardiff. Produced by the Making n Mending Club who meet at Global Gardens project.
You can see the whole process of making linen from flax, which has been grown by the group at the gardens and St Fagan’s museum of Welsh Life. We’ve been growing flax and learning to make this beautiful fibre for three years and are about to plant our fourth season. There’s our first little piece of hand spun, hand woven linen on display made by member Amber, we are so grateful! Also showing beautiful embroidery, naturally dyed linen cloth and lino prints (lino is made from flax seed oil!)
On Easter Monday, we’ll be showing flax and the process at the museum, 11-3 in Kennixton barn. Call in and have a go at rippling, heckling and spinning! We’ll have seed you can take away to  join in with growing and making local, sustainable fibre.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli