2024 - What I did today
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(05-01-2024, 11:52 PM)Veggie Wrote: Is a Key press somewhere to hang keys or to make them? I had all the locks changed on the outside doors and patio doors so that the same key will open any of them. Makes life a lot simpler!

I wonder why it's called a key press? We spent a long time a while ago searching online for a 'key safe' and nothing came up that was suitable or would fit the space available.  Then randomly P looked for 'key cabinet' and masses of different but eminently suitable products showed up.  Amazing difference  what one word made. Upshot is that we can now find keys without scrabbling to get the right one. P is happy.......for a while  Rolleyes
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Covered PSB with mesh. Stirred a very wet compost. Sowed onions. Picked kale. More tidying in gh and around. Chatted to neighbour, all before lunch.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Started clearing the big bed, helped by two robins. Eyed up areas where I could plonk in another Square yard bed or 4.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
First Boot Camp of the year. Rough, but managed without any bruises! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Spent a couple of hours in the garden raking out grass and weeds. Had to keep active as it was so cold, though less cold than yesterday.
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Today was a cooking day for me. I donned my butchers apron and started off with a lamb joint with some of my own rosemary in the oven. Next I blitzed the pork cracknell I made yesterday into crumbs to be used for carnivore recipes instead of bread crumbs.
While the lamb was cooking I thought I might as well kill two birds with one stone so put some belly pork pieces in oven as well.

I had some beef mince in the fridge and some chedder so decided to make meatballs with the mince, an egg and my Panko crumbs,BBQ sauce and a cube of cheese in the middle of each. They were put in air fryer in batches and of course I had to try one which was quite tasty.
I then cooked Kato'si chicken legs in the air fryer at the same time standing carving and eating pieces of the warm lamb along with the leftover cheese I had chopped. Rolleyes
I've probably got enough carnivore food now for the next couple of days and as it was freezing outdoors had a reasonably warm afternoon cooking! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Weeded the Elephant garlic patch. I only lift a few for use in the autumn and leave the rest to multiply. Once I see them sprouting, I know where to weed.
Laid out some poles on the big bed to mark where the beds and paths will be - then realised I'd got it all the wrong way round! Will try again tomorrow.
Did more grass raking and weeding helped by 2 robins and a wren.
Spotted the first bit of yellow on some daffodils. Not long now. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Planted some spring onions in the garden. They were a bunch of onions like they sell in the shop (mine were free from the £5 Pantry). I keep them in water until the roots grow, then plant them out. Over time they'll multiply and seed. I'm edging a bed with them!
Also potted up some mint cuttings that had been rooting on the window sill (again from a supermarket bunch).
Inspected the tub of avocado pits and found 2 that had split and rooted. Wrapped them up again and put them back in the box until the weather improves.
Not sure how the plants in GH4 are doing. If they haven't survived the cold weather it doesn't matter as there are more waiting in the tub.
The turmeric roots are leafing up now - they're indoors.
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Spent an hour or two weeding the big bed and its surroundings. Have decided to enlarge it to the south by joining it to another bed, which means getting rid of a wide path and turning that into a 2'6 wide bed. IF, big IF, this works, I should end up with 5 x 2'6" beds, not 3.
I like playing about with bits of wood, moving them around into different shapes. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Did a bit more weeding/dragging out grass by the roots with the rake. Still rethinking the beds. Each time I'm there I have a new plan - can it expand this way or that, should I get rid of this or that. Then I shuffle planks and logs around until my next visit when its time to shuffle the pack again. Keeps me warm. Big Grin
When the old pond was emptied I spread the pond liner over a patch of grass and nettles. These aren't exactly dead but, with a bit of effort I could clear it. This patch is outside the fenced off Veg patch so fair game for the dogs to gallop through. My options here are
1. to leave it covered to save mowing
2. remove it and let the weeds grow back
3. clear it and plant fruit bushes or ornamentals.
My preference is 3 but do I want to make more work for myself?? I might be able to cut holes in the liner and plant through it? Decisions, decisions.