Canning/bottling/preserving
Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Mark, have you tried freezing tomatoes to skin them? if you freeze them, then hold them under cold running water, the skins just slide off.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(17-11-2023, 01:52 PM)Moth Wrote: Mark, have you tried freezing tomatoes to skin them? if you freeze them, then hold them under cold running water, the skins just slide off.

I couldn't be doing freezing lots of tomatoes. As long as they're fully ripe, alicante, orange banana and delicious varieties skin easy enough if softened up in microwave. So I microwave, skin then transfer to pan to boil.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Maybe a passata machine would do the job - but it costs money!! https://seedsofitaly.com/passata-machine...c-18-9-23/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • toomanytommytoes

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(17-11-2023, 03:19 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(17-11-2023, 01:52 PM)Moth Wrote: Mark, have you tried freezing tomatoes to skin them? if you freeze them, then hold them under cold running water, the skins just slide off.

I couldn't be doing freezing lots of tomatoes. As long as they're fully ripe, alicante, orange banana and delicious varieties skin easy enough if softened up in microwave. So I microwave, skin then transfer to pan to boil.

Rolleyes You only have to put them in a poly bag and sling them in the freezer overnight.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
What do you think about this, SC? Big Grin Posting it because I don't want you to miss it!

"Homemade powdered milk. I bought a gallon of milk, boiled it slowly until it reduced down to the consistency of Play-Doh. Then I mushed it flat onto cookie sheets and put it in the oven on low until it gets bone dry. After that, I ground it in the blender until it was dust. It'll keep for months in a sealed mason jar."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
If you were in the middle of nowhere with a glut of milk but no access to fresh milk in the future, it might be worth it. But I can't see the point really. I'd rather try making butter with excess whole milk, but that's not likely either Smile You do wonder where some of these ideas come from.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Stage 1 - go out and buy a gallon of milk
Stage 2 - boil it slowly until its reduced to Play doh. How long does it take to reduce a gallon of milk? If I tried it the milk would boil over, burn and stink the house out.
Stage 3 - put the "play doh" in the oven and cook it until it dries out.
Stage 4 - put it in the blender and pulverise it.
Stage 5 - put it in a jar in the back of the cupboard and forget it.

Even if someone gave me a free gallon of milk I wouldn't go to all that effort to store it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(23-11-2023, 05:49 PM)Veggie Wrote: What do you think about this, SC? Big Grin Posting it because I don't want you to miss it!

"Homemade powdered milk. I bought a gallon of milk, boiled it slowly until it reduced down to the consistency of Play-Doh. Then I mushed it flat onto cookie sheets and put it in the oven on low until it gets bone dry. After that, I ground it in the blender until it was dust. It'll keep for months in a sealed mason jar."
Big Grin  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  .

just one question. Were they American?  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Good question, SC, because, as we all know, the US Gallon is smaller than the UK Gallon.

"In the Americas, a gallon is equivalent to 128 fluid ounces or 3.785 liters (American spelling). But in the UK, it's 160 fluid ounces or 4.546 litres (British spelling). "
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Couldn't you just freeze it? Or buy powdered milk? I doubt they've saved much money by making it themselves, considering how much time and energy it would take to get all of the water out of milk.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie