No Shop October
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a new Challenge for myself but feel free to join me. Its called No Shop October and I have to get through the rest of the month without going shopping for food (apart from the £5 Pantry which isn't really a shop). A bit like the start of lockdown (remember that!!) when we couldn't easily go shopping so ate from our store cupboards and freezer. 
Its time I investigated the back of the cupboard and the bottom of the freezer to see how much space I can make. The big freezer is full with lots of fruit and veg from the garden but I still have things I want to freeze and its a constant challenge to shuffle the stuff around to squeeze in some more. I'm sure there's some past its best food at the bottom. Its like digging up hidden treasure when you have no idea what you'll find but you know that something is there, waiting to be discovered. 
So that's my plan for the next 3 weeks. Care to join me. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sorry Veggie you’re on your own. I’m currently going in the opposite direction! Morrisons have recently started delivering to the island from fort William. So we can now get actual fresh produce ( cheaper & doesn’t turn into a brown puddle in the fridge overnight! ) and have considerably more choice. For just £8 delivery. Orders are not limited. If we wanted 2 shopping trolleys worth, we could. We do still have a 14 mile round trip to collect it though.
Tesco in Oban have been doing deliveries to the island for a few years now. Never bothered with them because they limit you to 3 boxes (bananas box size). And it’s brought over to the island by a courier that charges £48 and you still have to do the 14 mile round trip to collect!

We’re still only doing an order once or twice a month. It’ll probably drop to even more infrequently when the novelty wears off and I get my garden growing properly.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Good old Morries! Can you order a box of yellow stickered food. Big Grin Just asking Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Unfortunately not. It’s one of the first things I checked  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I could probably manage to the end of the month from freezer, but would need to top-up with yellow sticker stuff! Rolleyes Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Nope your on your own Veggie. It's not that I don't need to but more that I have to give P his weekly outing to Lidl, Tesco & Aldi, he's got girfriends in each shop. I don't mind a bit about the girlfriends he natters away to them and I get to shop by myself Smile plus I have to hunt for YS.
I empathise about the depths of the overflowing freezer. Getting to the bottom of a chest freezer is a challenge, even more of a challenge getting out of it afterwards (do you need a stepladder) Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've had the chest freezer (literally when you lean in) for years. I bought "Hamster baskets" (I think that was the name!) so that there are baskets on all 3 levels so I only have to reach down to the top of the basket and heave it out. Defrosting and drying it out is another matter! I'm convinced that I'll fall in one day. Maybe I should tell you when I'm going to defrost it, then, if I'm quiet for a day or two, you can alert the emergency services and ask them to check the freezer. Big Grin

EDIT They were called Hamster baskets https://www.hamsterbaskets.co.uk/hamster...r-baskets/ What a memory. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Confession alert! I went to Morries today to buy popping corn as I was given an electric popcorn maker and couldn't try it out without corn! While I was there I bought dog food as I can't let the dogs starve for a month.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Another confession! I went to Morries this afternoon at 3pm, hoping for some YS stuff..........and I struck lucky. Even the checkout lady said "Bargain, 34 items for £11.70". Big Grin The dogs will be happy as I have 4 boxes of ox kidneys for them.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny