Storing potatoes
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sometimes you want your potatoes to sprout/chit, but not when you want to store them for eating. I've just read that if you put an apple in with your potatoes they will stay sprout-free. 
I'm going to try it when I next have some potatoes - nothing ventured. Big Grin

For the record:-
[Image: 1f34e.png][Image: 1f954.png]KEEP POTATOES FROM SPROUTING!!![Image: 1f954.png][Image: 1f34e.png]
Do you hate those ugly sprouts that form on your potatoes after just a couple of weeks? It turns out an apple a day just doesn't only keep the Dr. away but will also keep those sprouts away and also help the potatoes last longer.
The apples and potatoes storage tip has also been proven by America's Test Kitchen. In their experiment, potatoes stored with an apple stayed firm and sprout-free even after eight weeks, compared to potatoes stored without an apple; they turned out "largely soft, shriveled, and sad looking." So add an apple and save your potatoes.
Remove potatoes from packaging and place in a plastic bin and add an apple.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Never heard that one before, Let us know how that goes. I’d definitely sacrifice an apple if it works. My spuds are always sprouting to soon.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
All the spuds I have at the moment are sprouting. Need some fresh ones to try it properly.
I also found this - https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questi...-sprouting
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny