Blight 2023
toomanytommytoes Offline
Anyone got it yet? Pretty sure I've found it on the leaves of Kestrel potatoes and the nearby Maskotka bush tomatoes. The potato foliage has been cut down and I've cleaned the tomatoes of any spotty foliage. I'm going to check on the Cara potatoes in the front garden, though they are blight resistant so fingers crossed. Must be the earliest I've ever seen it! Luckily a lot of the tomatoes I'm growing outside are blight resistant, but it would be incredibly disappointing for blight to take hold so early.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Not here yet but expecting it any day with the daily showers we've been having. I'm also growing some but not all blight resistant varieties outdoors, although last year the blight got into the gh.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Unfortunately the blight keeps spreading and I'm picking off infected material every day. Even worse, it's now on a couple of plants in the greenhouse and I don't think I've ever seen it in the greenhouse before. Unless the weather starts clearing up it's looking like a grim year for tomatoes and potatoes.

I can see from here - https://blight.hutton.ac.uk/BlightReport - that it's been in the area since early July. I remember seeing confirmed cases quite close to me last year too, but the hot weather seemed to keep it at bay.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

MartinH Offline
I checked my potato plot this morning. These are the Maris Piper maincrop:

Looks like the cool damp weather has brought the blight with it. I'll ask Mrs H to cut the tops off later today (I can't do it myself, doctor's orders Sad). The crop underneath should be unaffected, I'll dig them up in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else suffering yet?
[-] The following 1 user Likes MartinH's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
In case you're puzzled - I've put TMTT's Tomato blight posts and Martin's Potato blight post together in this new Blight 2023 thread.

As you were..............
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH

toomanytommytoes Offline
Welcome to the blight club, Martin.  Cry
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
My earlies and 2nd earlies have died off and need harvesting when I get time. I don't think blight was a problem with them this year. The ones I've dug so far have been really good. My main crop are still looking good, variety Carolus which is supposed to be blight resistant and also Harmony that make really good baked potatoes and keep really well but are also prized by slugs. I've also got some Alouette in that are also blight resistant and also slug prone.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just testing!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • toomanytommytoes

toomanytommytoes Offline
Carolus and Alouette are both on my list of potatoes I want to grow. They have some of the highest tuber blight resistance of any variety on the AHDB database, equal to Sarpo Mira's 9/10. Apart from Sarpo Mira the only variety with good resistance at my local garden centre was Cara, which scores a bit lower at 7/10. For reference, Maris Piper only scores 5/10.

You can search for potato disease resistance values here - https://potatoes.agricrops.org/varieties...ced_search
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We were blighted back in June so I cut all my tomatoes down to the ground, about a third have regrown with a flowers appearing. It has been cool and wet since our drought broke in May but we have 2 weeks of hot and dry weather forecast so I'm hopeful of a small harvest.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, toomanytommytoes, Veggie