I don’t understand
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do we have any beer sommelier among us? 
We’ve started using pint glasses that I call vases  Big Grin .  The ones with stems, like big wine glasses.  Mostly because I’ve packed all the normal ones. But what I’m finding very confusing. Is the lager (in this case) taste completely different. Much much nicer. Anyone capable of shedding any light on why? 

I’m also a little annoyed. We’ve had these glasses for about 3 year ( they were left at a holiday cottage, definitely not the style for that property) . I just kept them to look good in my little bar area, collecting dust    Blush Rolleyes . Never considered using them!
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not a clue but I always think that beer/cider/lager and wine taste better from a glass with a stem, not a handle. Don't drink any of it now so can't do a comparison for you!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Guiness HAS to be in a straight glass, but a schooner for Newkie Brown. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-07-2023, 08:36 AM)Vinny Wrote: Guiness HAS to be in a straight glass, but a schooner for Newkie Brown. Smile
Why ? Traditional, looks, trend, tastes……….why?  How? 

I know it doesn’t take much  Wink but this has really blown my tiny mind  Blush  Big Grin .
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I wonder whether the wine glass shape catches the aroma and bubbles so your nose, which can enhance taste, picks up on more nice things in the beer thereby improving the perceived taste.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That’s as good explanation as any.  Smile . Unfortunately it’s floored as Bob has no sense of smell since he had covid. He can taste the difference as well.  
The other thing about these glasses. So much more difficult to pour your beer. 
You know the poncy lager adverts when the cut the top off the beer because it looks like a ice cream or meringue. It’s actually a thing  Big Grin . We do that now    Big Grin .
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Many years ago I did some work in Guinness Dublin brewery in the area where they developed new beers but also tested Guinness in various shaped glasses including the British tankard with a handle the round ones and the straight ones. There were people specifically employed to do this, and apparently it has a big influence on the taste of the beers. Hence why Guinness is always served in that special straight shape with the tulip top section.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 7 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny