Recipes for small amounts of fruit and veg?
Mikey Offline
I had a juicer until last week, I give it to my neighbours boy who’s gone vegan. I’m not completely sure I ever used it.

My go to dish for a small handful of veg would be an omelette. Grated courgette gently cooked in butter, then add the peas, egg, white part of spring onion, and a bit of cheese then pop the chopped green tips on top as a garnish. Anything salad on the side or maybe make up a salad of weed leaves, dandelion, purslane, chickweed, Herb Robert, plantain, clover, curly dock. There’s all manner of weeds you can make a salad from.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
I do like veg omelettes Mikey especially topped with blue cheese. If I'm low on eggs then its wraps/flat breads roll them up and drop them on the ribbed skillet to heat.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Mikey, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Still thumbs downs for Veggie smoothies - that's good to know. Thank you. Smile
All the recipes seem to call for ingredients I don't keep in - like odd "milks" . I don't even drink "real" milk!. I'm certainly not experimenting with one of my precious bananas. Who knows when I'll be able to buy more?
Omelettes used to be one of my staples too but my solitary hen only lays occasional eggs now.

Back to stirfries, curries, salads and soups then.  Thanks for making up my mind for me!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Mikey

Mikey Offline
Ah poor dab V, is she lonely with no one to cuddle up to?

You had loads when I was there last, and I know for sure you've not been sticking them in the pot!!  Sick
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
She was 1 of 4 until a couple of months ago then 3 of them went to chook heaven in a few weeks of each other. They were all rescues so I'm not really surprised they're reached their end.
I'll leave her as an only for now. She's always in the garden with me so not really lonely.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mikey

Mikey Offline
My colleague in work recently went from 8-16 chooks and now feels bombarded with eggs. You know the feeling when you decide what to make based on how many eggs you can use. Feel happy that you got rid of 6-8 then go and look in the coop to find 10 more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Veggie

Broadway Offline
(26-05-2020, 04:08 PM)Veggie Wrote: Ideas for when you come back from your plot with a few things but not enough to make them the star performer on your plate!
One courgette, a handful of peas, a couple of spring onions and so on. 

My fall back "recipes" are mixed salad, stirfry or soup.
One thing I've never tried, because the name puts me off, are "smoothies". We "smooth" the dog or cat, not our veggies. 

But I digress, as usual.  Blush
Since I can usually find lovage, kale and some sort of onion leaves, I've been wondering whether I could "Smooth" them into something.
Having never eaten/drunk one I've no idea what they are - apart from looking like comfrey tea. 

Does anyone "Smooth" and what do you use to make it and how do you use it?

Any other ideas for bits and pieces?
Hiya Veggie

I did try a few green drinks using the nutribullet years ago that were ok. I should try them again but have to judge the vitamin K intake as it affects my warfarinSad

Example recipe below, in most recipes we would subsitute the fancy for normal water!
  • 1 cup Kale
  • 1/4 cup Celery, raw
  • 1/4 cup Cucumber
  • 1/2 Green Apple
  • 1/2 tbsp Ginger Root, fresh
  • 1 cup Coconut Water
  • 1 tsp NutriBullet® Superfood Essential Greens
  • 1/3 cup Ice
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I have a smoothie maker but haven't really tried many veggie smoothies. Essentially, the benefit is that you get something that is like drinking juice but with all the good bits (like the fibre) still left in. That means you get more nutritional benefit from it, and it should cause less of a blood glucose spike. However, if something is going to be unpleasant juiced, then it is likely to be even more unpalatable in a smoothie! I mostly make smoothies using frozen fruit blitzed in milk, vegan "milk" or juice, but have also been drinking one made with black sesame seeds, milk and ice recently. I haven't experimented much with veggies yet, but I do think you could make a nice gazpacho in a smoothie maker, and some vegetables might be quite nice in a smoothie like carrots or cucumber. I also think adding a handful of a complementary herb to fruit based smoothies could be lovely (just waiting for my mint to pick up a bit).

You could also try blitzing small amounts of leafy veg into a pesto.

Veggie, if you have nuts or oats at home, you can just soak them in water for a bit then blend them up to make those "milks". If you were using it as milk in tea or on cereal, you would probably want to strain it through a nut milk bag but I wouldn't bother for a smoothie. They will make the smoothie a bit creamier than using water, so can be worth trying.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Proserpina's post:
  • Veggie